Amir Wild Fire

Amir Wild Fire in 1986

Amir Wild Fire in 1986

Amir Wild Fire

Amir Wild Fire Today

Amir Wild Fire's Story

I first learned of Amir Wild Fire's plight on the AOL Arabian message board. Linda Moss of the Equus Sanctuary had found her in a killer buyer's possession -- identifiable only by her freeze mark. She was sending out a plea for someone to help her … and while Linda desperately wanted to save her, the Sanctuary's funds were depleted. She said if someone didn't come to her rescue by Monday, she would be shipped to the auction where, at her age, her most likely destination would be slaughter. I read the post around midnight Tuesday. My heart sank when I realized who this mare was and that she had most likely already gone through the auction … I knew I didn't have the money, or any place to keep her, but I could not let her die like this. I'd figure it out later.

I called and emailed Linda immediately. She gave me the name of the killer buyer who had the mare, and the name of the auction house she had most likely gone through. I called the killer buyer the next morning … but he was out and his family was unwilling to give me much information. They would only confirm that a mare matching the general description I gave had gone through the auction Linda thought she had. I then called the auction house … but without an auction "tag" number, they could not tell me who she had been sold to. While they were sympathetic, they were too busy to help me anyway.

I called the killer buyer back again … he was still out. I explained to the person on the phone that the mare had great sentimental value to me and pleaded with them to help. The man was unmoved, saying only that he knew who had probably purchased the horse, and that she had been bought for a riding camp. The probable buyer's first name slipped. That was all we needed to launch the next leg of our search. Though we knew there was no guarantee that this was actually the mare I was looking for, it was better than nothing. But the instant Linda heard the name, it confirmed her worst fears. She knew finding the mare was only beginning … and she knew she was not going to a riding camp. We also knew it might already be too late and that she might already be irrecoverable …

By now, another couple of days had passed and we were all getting frantic. An acquaintance of Linda's who was sympathetic to her cause, called the man who we thought had purchased Amir. On our behalf, he convinced him to sell her to me. The man that owned her now didn't really want to be bothered with separating her from the bunch being shipped to slaughter and holding her for me. He put a stiff price on a currently "unpapered," 22-year-old mare (who had supposedly been sold to him as a 10-year-old) to make it well worth his while. While I had faxed her freeze mark to him to confirm her identity, there was still a question as to whether or not he had the right mare. The brand was hard to read. I had to take the chance anyway. She was within an hour of being shipped …

Meanwhile my husband, overhearing all my phone calls over a series of days and wondering what I was going to do, knowing we didn't have the money for another horse or a place to keep it but seeing my resolve, breached the dreaded subject. I looked at him and he didn't ask again. "We're getting another horse, aren't we," was all he said.

I borrowed the money on my credit card and arranged to wire it to the man Saturday morning. In the mean time, I had to make arrangements to get the mare off of his place. While he said he would hold her, I was still afraid she would accidentally be shipped. I could not find a hauling company who could pick her up any sooner than a week, and that was not good enough. I called Linda again.

Through a mutual friend, she knew of two women dedicated to Mustang rescue within an hour of Amir's location. They didn't know me from Adam, but on the slim chance they might be willing to help, I called anyway. Out of the infinite goodness of their hearts, with absolutely no personal knowledge of me, but full knowledge of where I had to send them to get her, they set out the next day to bring Amir to their home until we could arrange to transport her. I couldn't believe there were still people in the world who would take the chances they did for a mare they didn't know, and a woman they had never met …

About this time, I got a call from a good friend of mine, Brian Skone of Ocala, FL. He also knew I really should not be taking on another horse, and that doing this was stretching me. He and his family had recently purchased the farm in Florida and had plenty of room for her to roam and live out her days. He came to MY rescue, reimbursed me for Amir's purchase price, and we went about making plans to get her to her Florida paradise. For that short time, she would live with her female saviors at the Mustang rescue …

She came home with them that Sunday morning. They video taped their "journey" to safety … the song, "Wild Fire," playing on the radio in their pickup as they made their way home with her. The film arrived in the mail to me a few days later … the mare was, in fact, Amir Wild Fire. One of the saddest scenes on the tape was of Amir calling to another horse she had befriended during her trial. The women inquired about this other horse but were refused when they asked to see her. The strain on these kind-hearted women was evident in the video. The horses were being held at an old slaughterhouse awaiting shipment …

With their care package to me, they included the auction tag that was still glued into her tail when they picked her up … her rich chestnut hair still clinging to it. It has become the symbol of her ordeal to me ... and the plight of so many slaughterbound horses.

This rescue would have been possible without Linda Moss of the Equus Sanctuary, the Skone Family of Ocala, FL, and the wonderful women who, without knowing a thing about me, came immediately to Amir's aid. They showered her with the love, good food she needed, and medical attention until she could embark on her trip to her final home. I have not named them here to protect their work and their identity … but they know who they are and I pray they will always be blessed in the same way they have blessed others. I am certain they have many friends awaiting them at the Rainbow Bridge …

But I still haven't told you who Amir is ...

Amir Wild Fire is a 23-year-old daughter of the great *Bask son, Fire Wind. While her sire needs no introduction and is known for producing excellent broodmares, Amir's dam line is equally remarkable.

Amir is out of the mare La Femelle Fixe by Lyttl-Fix, a *Serafix son. Amir's mother died at the young age of 12 years after producing only a few foals. But from these few offspring, she distinguished herself as a great broodmare by establishing an Aristocratic mare line.

La Femelle Fixe was purchased as a four-year-old by the Hemmings, owners of US National Champion Stallion and English Pleasure horse, Raffon++, and bred to him for a 1969 foal. The result of this breeding was Amir's maternal sister, Alexandria, an Aristocrat producer of 8 champions on the Class "A," Regional, and National level in Halter, English Pleasure, Country English Pleasure, and Pleasure Driving. One of Alexandria's unshown daughters is now herself an Aristocrat producer of 4 champions at the young age of 15 years. Her winners include a National Top Ten Futurity filly, two Scottsdale Top Ten Halter fillies, and a Scottsdale Top Ten Halter and East Coast Champion English Pleasure Junior Horse. This is Amir's first maternal older sister … a mare that is in the company of only 22 other mares in the history of the breed to produce this many or more champions.

Amir's second maternal sister was born in 1972. She was by the Egyptian stallion, *Ibn Antar, and her name was Lady Love. While she was a Park champion in her own right, she is better known through a son by Al-Marah Canadius. That son was one of only a few foals she produced. He is the great Canadian Love+, US National Champion English Pleasure and National winning producer (thanks to Arlene Magid for supplying some of this research).

Amir was last owned by Bethesda Farms and slipped into obscurity after her sale in 1986, along with a few of her foals and many of the other horses owned by the farm when it came upon troubled times. We don't know where she spent the last 12 years of her life, though we have tried to retrace her steps to little avail. She was one of the many unfortunate Arabians that suffered during the big money craze the breed went through in the 80s, only to be lost and unaccounted for until her arrival at a California feedlot in 1997, destined for slaughter. While her sisters were hugely successful as producers, we'll never know what Amir would have been capable of. She is barren now but will spend her years with the Skones, keeping the company of another lovely mare they rescued through the Arabian Horse Rescue Network, Toi Soldierett.


Amir Wild Fire
1975 Chestnut Mare
AHR# 133162
Fire Wind *Bask Witraz
Lakshmi Rapture
La Femelle Fixe Lyttl-Fix *Serafix
La Femme Hyak
San Felicia

Amir Wild Fire is now owned and loved by the J. Brian Skone family of Arabian Oaks Farm, Ocala, FL. Visit them at

For Further Information:

Write Us! Arabian Horse Rescue Network
P.O. Box 4603
Sunland, CA 91041-4603
Phone: 818-353-9577

Web page design by Robert Herman and Diana Patterson.